Sunday, October 07, 2007

October 6, 2007 - Arizona Trip Saga

We came back from our trip to Arizona on Friday but I have been resting and re-energizing for the past two days....and doing laundry, and trying to get the boys back on their sleep schedule, etc.

We had a great time and had visits with my husband's family and lots of friends. It was definitely a challenge, traveling with two toddlers. We got off to a great start with a 2 hour delay before ever leaving the airport. We had just pulled away from the gate when they discovered that the intercom system was not working properly, so we sat there for two hours while they tried to fix it. We finally had to de-plane with no idea of when/if it might be fixed and, while we were in the process of trying to book another flight, we were told to get back on. We took off soon after and the rest of the trip was uneventful...until we got to the rental car place.

We rented two car seats. Only one car seat was in the car and it had not been installed. It took them a while to get another car seat for us. My husband had to install both of them and some of the parts were missing so he had quite the challenge. He persevered though and, although it took us quite a long time, we were finally on our way. I had the fun of trying to entertain two little boys who were quite tired of traveling by this time.

On the return trip, we had another one or two hour delay in DFW. This turned out to be a good thing because it gave us time to have a leisurely meal and change diapers before boarding.

Ben officially turned 2 while we were gone. My sister-in-law had a birthday party for both of the boys and it was really sweet and fun..and very cute. They had many firsts on this trip; too many to keep track of but I'll have to try to think of some of them so I can document them.

The morning of Ben's birthday, he said "more" "oatmeal". He paused between the two words but this was the closest either one has ever come to putting two words together to communicate something. I'm not counting things like "big bear" or "Busy Busy Baby" (a book) because those kind of things they learned to say more as if they were one word. Both boys also learned how to turn somersaults and have been practicing their new feat since we have been home.

Both boys were very into waving to people and saying "hi". When we walked down the aisles of the planes, Nick was waving to everyone and saying "hi", as if they were in his personal fan club. It was quite funny.

I have almost finished "The Well-Trained Mind" book. I really like the classical education philosophy.  I found a very interesting and encouraging article on the HSLDA website today about a recent (I think it's recent; can't find a date on it) study on home education. My husband and I were both amazed at the findings.

I can't believe it is already October. Where does the time go??

2 comments:

ChandraJoy said...

Wow! Sounds like it was a great trip! I agree that sometimes a delay can be a blessing when you are traveling with a child! I'm glad you all had a good time and I hope everyone is getting back to their regularly scheduled routines!

Aubrey said...

Well..it sounds like uall had a great time. I can only imagine N and B waving to every1. And N does have his own fan club...Me, Jana and Trent happen to be some of his biggest fans...but we're big fans of B too!!...neways...I love youall bunches!!!...TTYL