Thursday, November 22, 2007

November 22, 2007

Yesterday was a very busy day for me. I made the Mississippi Mud, entirely from scratch, which took most of the morning, when you add in changing diapers, meals and snacks and playing referee to two little boys. I also did several loads of laundry, the last of which is still in the dryer. I ate lunch, made the bed, emptied the trash, took a shower and washed my hair and fixed it, during nap time.

Since my morning was so busy, I waited until after nap time to go to the grocery store to get some salmon for dinner. I don't like to buy it before the day we are going to eat it because I have had some that went bad in a very short amount of time. (I hate that smell and it comes dangerously close to turning me off to salmon altogether, which would be sad because I really like it and it is so healthy.) The boys took a long nap so we were heading to the grocery store later than I had intended. The temperature had dropped into the 30's so, for the first time this fall, we had to bundle up in our heavy coats. We ended up having dinner a bit later than normal. I quickly cleaned up after dinner and then it was time to brush teeth and start baths. The dad got home when the boys were still in the bath tub.

After the boys were in bed for the night, I was in my bathroom, getting ready for bed. The thought came to me that I had spent very little time holding, snuggling, hugging, kissing or even giving positive feedback to the boys today. After thinking about it for a minute, I ended up feeling that I had spent more time today correcting them about various things (mostly disagreements between the two of them) than I had loving on them.

I really hate it when that happens. It just makes me wish I could have a do-over. It is a gift from God that they have such short memories at this age, which effectively gives me a do-over today:). I am very thankful for that.

I am very thankful for God's love, which He shows us in so many big and little ways every day and through so many people. I can remember a time when I was struggling with feeling God's love. I was in the church choir at the time and we were singing songs about how much God loves us. God tells us He loves us through His word, the pastor preached about how much God loves us and everyone talked about it all the time but I was not *feeling* it. I can remember praying about it, while tears ran down my face, and asking God to help me feel His love for me. I also remember very distinctly how He started pointing out to me, one by one, all the ways He was showing me His love every day, through this friend's hug, through that friend's phone call to see how I was doing, through my family, etc. He responded to my plea very quickly and showed me all the ways He was constantly showing me His love. It meant so much to me and I knew, without a doubt, that He was talking to me and wanted me to know how much He loves me.

I have never forgotten that time. What a special God we have. I am thankful we have such a loving God, who cares about the big and little things that we are going through and who wants us to know that He loves us. I am thankful for the salvation He has provided for us. I am thankful for the two little boys with whom He has blessed us and I am so honored that He has entrusted them into our care. I am thankful for the wonderful, caring husband he has given me and father He has given the boys. I am thankful for our extended families and our friends, who are so loving to us and our children. I am thankful for the abundant life with which He has blessed us. I am thankful for all of the beauty around us, that constantly reminds us of the beautiful world He created.

I am so very thankful that we are sharing our Thanksgiving with our children this year. They are such a joy to our lives. Yesterday my sister was saying how she had just been thinking about what joy they have brought to our entire family and how thankful she is for them too. Yes, we are very very blessed and I thank our heavenly Father for that.

I pray that days like yesterday, when I get too busy and don't spend enough time snuggling, hugging and kissing my little boys, will be very few and far between.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: