Wednesday, March 24, 2010

March 24, 2010

I had my doctor appt moved from Monday to today because my cast was too loose. When the PA saw the new XRays, he wanted to show them to the doctor. He thought the small piece of broken-off bone had moved a bit and was now to close to a joint. If it heals that way, it could fuse the joint or cause bad arthritis at some point.

I am scheduled to have a CT scan this afternoon at 3:00 so they can see the best course of action. It sounds like they will either use a small screw to put the small bone back into place or they will remove the small piece of bone completely. The surgery would likely be sometime on Friday, as they need to do it very soon because it has already been 3 weeks since I broke it.

The dear husband says that, if I have to have surgery (and we think I most likely will), it will be out patient surgery and they will likely do it with a local so I won't need to be put under. So it doesn't sound like a very big deal.

Not sure how long it will be before I am walking again. They said they might put me in a walking boot and let me start bearing weight soon after surgery, if they remove the piece of bone. Hopefully it will be a quick recovery and I will still make it to the homeschool conference in Ohio in April.

No comments: