Tuesday, June 02, 2009

June 2, 2009

Our first ever garage sale went very well. One lady even said it was the most organized garage sale she had ever seen:). We ended up making $427 and sold most of the items. We took the remaining items to the local Good Will office.

It was a lot of work and we ended up not getting to bed the night before until around 11:30. The husband went to sleep right away, as usual, and while I was getting ready to fall asleep I heard a loud thump on the upstairs floor and then heard Nick on the monitor crying and calling to me. I rushed up and he had blood running from his nose. Poor little guy. What a rude awakening, to hit the floor with your nose and then have blood running all over you. I cleaned him up and stayed with him until he was almost back to sleep so it was pretty late when I got to bed. Thankfully, the husband is naturally an early riser so he was up early and moved a bunch of toys and the lawn mower and a couple of other things out of the garage and into the back yard.

I forgot to put the time and date in the paper so we had one guy knocking on our door, asking if this was where the garage sale was, early Friday morning and we had several people show up between 7:00 and 8:00 on Saturday (we were planning to start at 8:00 on Sat.). But the dear husband took care of them while I fed the boys and got ready and I was out there and ready by 8:00am as planned. I think we finally called it a day around 2:00 or 2:30. As the time went by, I started slashing prices all over the place because I didn't want to be left with all of this stuff. Overall, I was very pleased with how much stuff we sold and the husband was pleasantly surprised. He was actually very surprised at how much stuff we had to sell. Both he and my sister were thinking we did not have that much stuff to get rid of. I think my favorite part was going through all of the cabinets, drawers and closets gathering stuff up that we had stored for years and had never used. That felt really good and it feels really good to now have all of that stuff gone.

Most of the time the dad was working on painting our fence while I was manning the garage sale and the boys were either hanging out with me, eating snacks, or playing in the yard or on the driveway. I ended up getting some of their riding toys out and put them in the grass next to the driveway so they could ride them on the driveway if they wanted. So almost everyone who walked up asked if they were for sale. In hindsight, I should have put up a sign indicating they were not for sale.

The boys did very well over all but poor little Ben cried several times because he wanted me to push him on the swing and I couldn't. Other than that, they did pretty well and had a fun day, although a tiring one (for all of us). After we dropped off the items at Good Will, we went out to eat a late lunch.

Well, both boys are sitting in chairs in the living room, looking through their books. I think that is a sign they would like someone to read to them and I am that someone so I must sign off for now. Ta Ta! :).

1 comment:

Karen said...

Will you orchestrate a sale at my house:).

Have a super gr8 1!