Tuesday, February 13, 2007

February 13, 2007

I've been working on this post for several days now. Unfortunately, I have not had a lot of time to work on it so it has been coming along pretty slowly. Better late than never though, right?

Yesterday my mom and sister came for a visit. They live about an hour and a half from where we live, so I really appreciate that they make the time to come and visit me and the boys. It was really nice to see them again and the boys enjoyed their visit. Benjamin especially enjoyed them.

Nicholas has not been feeling well and was a bit clingy/whiny and has been for about the last two or three days. Yesterday evening, he ended up with a fever of just over 103. Dr. Dad got out all of his doctor equipment and started listening to his lungs and looking in his ears, etc. Nick's pulse was high and his respriations per minute were also pretty high, although his lungs sounded fine. We gave him some baby Motrin and put him to bed and then my husband also went back to his office to get this small, portable device that measures the oxygen level in the blood (that thing with the red light that they frequently put on a person's finger when they are in the hospital). We woke him up while checking his oxygen level because we wanted to rule out a serious case of pneumonia. His oxygen level was great so we went to bed. Nick seemed to sleep pretty well, although he woke up at 7:00am, which was about an hour earlier than normal and he still had a fever.

Ben slept until 8:30am and Nick went back to sleep while I was rocking him, after he had eaten a little oatmeal and drank some milk. I let them both sleep as long as they would because my husband had made an appointment for Nick at 10:15. I took them both in to the clinic where my husband works and they ordered a chest XRay and checked him for a bladder infection, since he didn't have any obvious signs of what was causing the 103.3 fever. Turns out that his chest XRay indicated that he was just getting started with a bout of pneumonia. We already had the appropriate antibiotic, as we had gotten it for our trip to bring the boys home, just in case. So I brought both boys home, gave them lunch (Ben ate lunch; Nick didn't feel like having any lunch at all), gave Nick a dose of the antibiotic and put them both down for a nap around 1:00. Ben woke up just before 4:00; I think Nick probably would have slept longer but, when he saw me, he was up and probably realized how miserable he felt. His Motrin had worn off and he was chilling and shivering. I felt so bad for him. I gave him more Motrin and dressed him warmer until his fever broke again. They both went down for the night at 8:00 but we are planning to wake Nick up at 10:00 for one more dose of Motrin, with hopes it will help him have a better night of sleep. I am hoping and praying he feels better when he wakes up tomorrow morning. Tomorrow morning at 9:00, we have Ben's appointment with the pediatric cardiologist to discuss the hole in his heart, which XRay's show is still there.

So, you can see why I have had a hard time finishing this post. Now for the lighter fare, pictures!

Here is a picture of Benjamin walking, with hands held high above his head and a big grin on his face. This is pretty much how he looks every time he tries to walk on his own. He is very excited with his progress, as are we.


I took a bunch of random shots yesterday of the boys at play and thought I would share them.



Nicholas - was sitting against the window, playing with a toy for 10 or 15 minutes, until I started taking pictures. He was starting to move toward me in this shot and was very interested in seeing the camera. I made the mistake of showing them their pictures, after taking shots one day, so now that are overly interested in the camera and I have to sneak around with it.














Benjamin walked from where I was on the couch to the window/door and then started touching his brother and, at times, trying to hit him. Some normal fun time at our house:). Luckily they don't hit very hard yet, although we are still working on teaching them not to hit others.











Nicholas was very interested in Benjamin's overalls, but also wanting to touch/hit him back.






Benjamin, turning to look at me after I told him "no hitting" and "be nice"...."who, me??".














Benjamin "touching" Nick's face.

I just noticed that these pics are all out of order but I'm too tired to fix them.

















Benjamin handed Nicholas the panda teddy bear. Nicholas loves soft, stuffed animals.
















Ben, retrieving the panda teddy bear from the toy basket and throwing/handing it to Nick.


















Nick, getting a toy from the toy basket. This is the toy that he spent 10 or 15 minutes playing with, just before I took that picture of him above....now you can see how these pics are very much out of order...but cute nonetheless, yes?

4 comments:

kate said...

SO sorry to hear the pnuemonia pnews. I hope everyone is healthy soon.

They look great in the pix!

Hawk said...

you boys are GREAT!

I was wanting to ask you if it is okay to email you with a couple questions about your agency you used (unofficial of course). Just leave me a comment on my journal. Thanks!

Debbie said...

Your first sickness sounds rough but you seem so easy going and prepared. I'm very impressed.
The pictures of the boys are so cute.

Jenni said...

I'm sorry to hear that N is not feeling well. It is so hard to see your child sick with a fever. Hope he is feeling better soon.

The pictures are adorable!