Friday, April 18, 2008

April 18, 2008

I have mentioned before that the staircase in our house does not have a landing. It is just one long, tall staircase that goes straight up...or down, depending on where you are standing:), and we have 9 foot ceilings so it is extra long. To make it worse, the floor at the bottom of the stairs is a hardwood floor and the first step up is also hardwood. So, if someone were to fall down the stairs and land at the bottom, it would be a pretty long fall with a pretty hard landing. We still have gates on each end and we still use them, as we think it is risky for the boys to do alone.

The other day (I think it was Wednesday), I went upstairs to get the boys up from their naps. As we started to walk down the stairs, Ben took the first step before he took hold of my hand. That's all it took. Down he went, tumbling over and over. Thankfully he landed on his hands and knees and stopped about two thirds of the way down...or may three quarters....either way, he went down a long ways, just a few steps short of the bottom hardwood floor. It scared all three of us (Nick, Ben and me) pretty badly and the dad and I have thanked God many times that he was not hurt.

Yesterday was a cool, very cloudy and rainy day so we went to an indoor bouncing place. The boys loved it and I got a pretty good work out myself. It was $7 per child for as long as we wanted to stay. They have been open for 6 months and are pretty close to where we live. I wish I had known about it before now. It is a wonderful way to spend a rainy morning.

We had a very busy week this week. We went somewhere every day this week, which is not my favorite way to spend a week. I end up feeling like I don't get to spend enough time just relaxing and having fun with the boys, sitting and reading, coloring or working puzzles, etc. I think I am going to try to start setting aside two mornings a week where we don't go anywhere, although I think this week is a bit of an anomaly for us.

Monday we went clothes shopping all morning, ate out at Subway and came home in time for naps. Tuesday morning we went to MOPS, came home in time for lunch, 30 minutes of playtime and then naps. Wednesday we went back to the MOPS church to retrieve my cell phone, since I had dropped it the day before and didn't miss it until we were home. After that we went to an indoor play area at a small mall that we had never been to before. It was cute and the boys really enjoyed it. After playing, we ate lunch at the food court and came home in time for naps. Yesterday was the bouncing place and today we went shopping at Sam's Club. We really needed a lot of stuff today so we were there for quite a while and ended up eating lunch there before coming home. This was a very unusual week for us, as we normally hardly ever eat out during the week. We always eat out after church on Sunday's and once in a while I take the boys out to eat for lunch during the week but that is usually only maybe twice a month, if that.

Next week we will be staying home much more, as I need lots of home time before we head out to Kansas City, introvert that I am:)....did I mention we are going to K.C. for an extended weekend? We will be staying with friends and attending our first ever homeschooling conference. I am really looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

who are you using for the search? I am glad you will finally get your answers and keep in touch with the family. i am getting ready for my first phone call with the grandmother

musicmommy3 said...

We have a similar prob with our basement stairs. They go down at a very steep angle and at the bottom you hit very hard tile.
We had a baby gate there but I removed it when Gid turned 2 and I caught him at the top, with a chair, trying to climb over the baby gate. I figured that a normal fall was better than that kind of fall. So far, no falls. He is really really good at the stairs. Like you said though, one misplaced step. Glad that you guys were OK. :)