Wednesday, May 09, 2007

May 9, 2007



We have had a busy month and the boys continue to change soooo much. We are continually amazed. They both continue to do very well with their sleeping, eating and attaching. So far, we have no issues at all.

We took them for their 18 month check up this week, although Nick is closer to 17 months old and Ben recently turned 19 months old.

Here is a picture of Nick from today.










And here is a picture of Ben from today.

They have grown so much that they are barely fitting into their 18 month sized one-piece outfits now. The funny thing is they are still wearing a couple of pairs of shorts that are 9 month size, although not for much longer. They are wearing shirts that are 18 months and some of those are getting to be a bit small also. They are still in size 3 diapers but I think they will outgrow those soon.









They are very into giving kisses lately. It's very cute and sweet and it warms our hearts. When we put them to bed the other night, we were saying "night night" to them and Nick said "nii nii" back to us several times. It was so sweet.

One afternoon, Ben wanted me to pick him up. I was doing something in the kitchen and could not pick him up right away so he sat down and started crying. Nick came in, looked at me, then at Ben, wondering why Ben was crying. He walked over and sat down on the floor right next to Ben. He had brought a toy pig and a toy sheep with him and he started bouncing the toy pig across the floor in front of Ben. Then he sat it down in front of Ben. By this time, Ben had stopped crying and he picked up the toy pig and started bouncing it around like Nick had done. Then, Nick leaned over and gave Ben a kiss. It was just so cute. I really wish we had been able to record that. They really are close now and it is obvious they care about each other so much.


They have each grown over 2 inches in 3 months, although I think Nick has grown a little more than Ben. Ben has put on more weight than Nick but they are both now weighing around 25 pounds, Ben a little more than 25 and Nick a little less. Ben is really right on track and looking really good for his height, weight and head on the growth charts.

These are my favorite PJ's. I think they look so cute in them.




Nick was the smaller of the two, when we adopted them, and is now in the 25th percentile for weight and 50th for height, which is incredible, since he was around the 3rd or 5th percentile for both when we adopted him.
The other thing we have had checked is the mole on B's right cheek, which has been growing quite a bit since he has been home. We noticed it when we first met him but, it was so small and the coloring was such that it really looked like a little bruise at that time; that's what we thought it was originally. It is still growing so we took him to a dermatologist last week and they said it is just a normal congenital mole and they grow more rapidly in the early stages. So we will be taking him to a plastic surgeon to discuss options for having it removed, hopefully before it gets too much larger.
This set of pictures was from the Sunday that we had our "baby" dedication at church.












The child development expert from Sooner Start has been coming out and we also had a speech therapist come out one week. The boys are catching up so quickly that I was questioning whether we really needed their services, since I don't want to waste their time. We decided that they will keep coming out twice a month until after the boys have their hearing retested and I meet with the nutritionist. The child development expert comes out and visits with me, listens to any concerns I might have and provides information and suggestions for how to get the boys up to speed on speech or development challenges. I think they are pretty close to being on track now but I enjoy visiting with her and learn a lot. They understand most of what we say to them these days and they repeat so many words I have lost count of them all. One of yesterday's new words was "brother". Most of them are words that only a parent would understand right now though.I read a book recently that I highly recommend. It's called "What's going on in there?" and is about how the brain and mind develop in the first five years of life. It was written by Lise Eliot and is really an interesting read. I also finished rereading Dr. James Dobson's book "Bringing up boys", which I really liked both times I read it and now I am rereading "Boundaries with kids" by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. It is an excellent book also; a very good book about setting age appropriate boundaries and allowing children to face consequences.

That's enough for today. My mom and sister are coming for a visit tomorrow so not sure if I will have time to post, although I have some additional pictures I want to share soon.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

So glad to see your post. Wow you have been busy with the boys. Sounds like they are doing wonderfully. They have gotten big and are as adorable as ever.
I love the story about N comforting B. So sweet.
Welcome back to bloggy world.

Lauri said...

welcome back.. love the pics and updates

mommyto5 said...

Welcome back and the boys are just precious so glad to hear all is going so well!

MMrussianadoption said...

Glad you are posting again. The kids look great. I keep forgetting to ask the doctor to plot their info for me on the charts. I don't even know their head circ. I should get a tape measure and do it myself.