Friday, February 19, 2010

February 19, 2010

My husband and I are celebrating our 5th anniversay today. Yay!! We are not doing much to celebrate because I did not line up a sitter in time (I'm bad about that). Actually, a friend had offered to watch the boys and our boys like to play together so I was thinking we might do that but one of her sons got sick. I called our sitter and she was already booked for tonight so she is going to sit for us tomorrow for a little while in the afternoon. The boys are very excited to see her. They had been asking for Katy to come play with them.

It is odd how in some ways it seems that it could not already be 5 years and in other ways it seems so much longer. It is the same with the boys. It seems they have always been here but then it seems like it was not that long ago they were such little babies. Time is a funny thing.

But back to the anniversary. It is a wonderful thing to be married to your best friend. If I had made a list for God of all the qualities that I wanted and thought I needed in a mate and if God had really listened to me, I would have really missed out and would probably have been a very unhappy person. Thankfully God knew exactly what I needed in a mate (He did make both of us, after all:) and I ended up marrying my husband. I would never have thought to ask God for half of the things that I so greatly appreciate in my husband. He is a very special man, my best friend and I am so very thankful to God for blessing me with him as my husband. The last 5 years have been the best 5 years of my life.....and I think it's just going to keep getting better:).

In other news, we are preparing for our trip to Arizona, where we will spend a week visiting my SIL and friends in Tucson and Phoenix. It has been two years since we have been back so we are really looking forward to seeing everyone and having a nice vacation with family and friends.

I looked up the weather forecast and the prediction is for high sixties to low seventies during the day and high thirties at night (I think - it was a few days ago but I think that is what it said). Yesterday the boys tried on clothes and sandals from last summer. They were so excited about it, it was really cute. Today we bought a few new shirts. I think we have enough shorts that fit to get us by and their sandals from last summer still fit. These shorts and sandals from last summer will not fit for long though. They grow so fast.

My brother will be house sitting for us so our cats and house will be well cared for while we are gone and I will have peace of mind:).

In other news, I booked my flight to go to the homeschool conference in Cincinnati in April. My friend from Kansas City will be meeting up with me there and we are both very excited about the trip. It will be the first time I have ever gone off on my own, since I have been married with children. I think I will enjoy the relaxation but will be very homesick for my guys. They are planning some fun things to do while I am gone, although Ben and Nick both said they wanted to come too and Ben got a bit teary eyed. It will only be for 3 days and 2 nights so I am sure they will do fine and will have lots of fun. When we started discussing the things they could do with daddy while I am gone, they were all happy and excited again.

I have been doing more research, trying to decide what to do and when, in regards to homeschooling. Once we are back from Arizona and are settled back in, I think we will begin doing a bit of reading and writing each day. Not too much and we will spread it between some fun stuff and getting lots of exercise in, but I think they are ready to start doing a little more than we have been doing to date. I will post more on this as we go along to let you know how things are going.

The boys are doing very well with our new night time routine of them going to sleep without us in the room. Actually, they would rather us not be in there with them now, for the most part. When we are in there, they have to be quiet and lie down. When they are on their own, they can talk and play in their beds. We usually have to go back up at least once or twice to remind them to stay in their beds but they normally do very well and we now have a bit more time in the evenings to ourselves, which is nice.

We have been watching the olympics and the boys get very excited when they get to watch it for a little while before going to bed. Nick especially ooooo's and aaaahhh's over it. The first night we had it on, they were both running back and forth through the living room, jumping in the air, spinning around and generally trying to imitate what they were seeing on the tube, all the while saying, "mommy, daddy, watch me!". It had us laughing a few times, for sure.

We had a couple of beautiful days here this week. The boys played outside in the yard and on the driveway one of the days and we went to the park for the afternoon on one day. Nick really surprised me. I looked around to see he had climbed and was grabbing the bar above his head to do the hand over hand thing above your head. I can't remember what that's called but I was shocked at how well he did it. He made it across to the other side and there were 5 rungs, which I thought was pretty amazing for a 4 year old.

We have had two nights recently when Nick was so over tired that he became impossible at bedtime. It is so difficult when that happens and we try very hard not to let it happen but sometimes it sneaks up on us. When he gets this way, there is no pleasing him. Last night he was exhausted after playing so hard in the park. He didn't want to brush his teeth so I said that was fine but he had to let me brush them in the morning (normally mom and dad brush them at night and they do their own in the morning). Then after we were all done in the bathroom and the lights were out, he wanted his teeth brushed. I knew that if I said ok, he would say no. This is just the way it goes. So I said I was not going to do it but he could do it if he wanted to so he did. There is constant crying and fit throwing during these episodes. After he was back in bed, he was upset because he wanted to say goodnight to daddy again. Daddy had already said goodnight when Nick was throwing his fit about teeth and generally not wanting to go to bed. Daddy was already downstairs so I told Nick that we had already done that and it was time to go to sleep. If I had relented, he either would have refused to say goodnight to daddy or he would have found something else to draw his line in the sand about. This is how he gets when he is so tired. There is really no pleasing him and he is just a mess through the whole thing. I think this was the first time he had been this way since we have not been sitting with them while they fall asleep so I was not sure how this was going to end. When I left the room, he was still crying and complaining. I listened to him on the monitor and within 5 minutes he was asleep. Very tired little boy. When he came down this morning, he was all smiles:). He is really normally a very happy little guy.

What else? The boys are doing great with their swimming lessons and continue to have a blast. I am starting a 6 week Bible study on Monday. I am totally ready for spring.  My birthday is next week. I will be 47 years old. Wow! That's so close to 50! I don't feel that old and I don't think of myself as that old....not that there's anything wrong with 50 or that it is old or anything:). Actually, it seems to get less old with every year that goes by. Funny how that happens.


Jana H said...

Lea, about your laptop turning a light on in the night I think I may have a solution. We have the same laptop, so this is what I do with mine. You can pick the setting that when you close your laptop it hibernates. If you do this, the light shouldn't come on, at least it doesn't with me. And if you leave it unplugged there shouldn't be a light either. Let me know if these don't work. There aught to be someway to fix it.

Lea said...

Thanks Jana!

Lauri said...

Livi has never, ever stayed dry during the night. I keep looking for signs that her bladder is maturing, but she wakes up with a soaking pull up every morning.

she turned 5 in November. I am so ready for her to be nighttime trained...

Anonymous said...

How r u? your website is cool
Check at this cool emo video clip: