Thursday, December 04, 2008

December 4, 2008

....once again I am sitting outside of the boys' room. I just over heard Nick saying:

"Samuel! Samuel!" and "I did not call you. Go back to bed." as he was pretending the Bible story of Eli and Samuel. They are too funny. They pretend about 20 million things in about 5 minutes, from riding motorcycles (the pillow), to playing drums (pounding on the rail).

Last night when I was trying to tell Nick to quit calling out to me to ask me what I was doing, he was going through a list of things to try to keep me in the room, including "I need to go potty" (he had just gone) and "I bleeding" :). He wasn't bleeding, in case your wondering but I did think it was pretty funny.

Wow, I am so tired. I think I mentioned that the dad is in this play at our church. They had a dress rehearsal on Monday night and their first performance on Tuesday night. Wednesday night they were off so I was really looking forward to having a little bit of a break but it turned out he had to work late because there were two admits at the hospital that he had to go check out before he came home. So he didn't get home until around 8:15pm. They are having another performance at the church tonight, they have another one tomorrow night and then they have a matinee performance and the final evening performance on Saturday.

Since he is also on in-service duty at the hospital, he will have to do rounds on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. Sometimes morning rounds can take until noon or later to finish so, depending on the number of patients, he may have to hurry to make it to the play on time. Last Sunday I was really surprised because he made it to church by around 10:15 or 10:30. I didn't expect that at all so it was a pleasant surprise.

Well, tonight has not gone quite as well. Nick has gotten out of bed a couple of times and both boys have been loud and rowdy at times. They are still going strong and it is 9:00pm. They are usually asleep by now. If they sleep in tomorrow, I won't mind so much but today Nick was downstairs by 6:15am. Since he was not around to wake up Ben, Ben slept in until 7:30. It really is not so bad just having one of them awake early. Having one of them is so much easier than having two of them together. With just one of them, everything is calm, we cuddle for a while, sit and eat breakfast and talk and it is very nice. As soon as the second child arrives on the scene (and this is true regardless of which one wakes up first) they sometimes, though not always, start with the bickering.

It seems there has to be a battle over anything blue these days. Ben was the one who first decided that blue is his favorite color. It didn't take long before Nick decided that blue was his favorite color also. Unfortunately, before they decided this, I had already bought a few things (shirts, cups, etc.) where one item might be blue and the other might be brown or purple. So now, we have this constant battle over who gets blue.....and people wonder why I dress them alike so often. It never fails, if I buy two different colors of shirts, they both end up wanting one of the colors and neither of them wants the other color. It is just so much easier to buy things alike, not to mention that it is very hard to find cute boy clothes anyway.

Final status: I finally had to start telling them to quiet down. I started by yelling it through the door, from my chair:), but eventually had to go in and tell them in person. As I came back out of their room, I had a smile on my face because I remember hearing those words quite often myself when I was a kid. This is the way I want it to be for them. I want them to hang out in their beds, as they are winding down from their day, and pretend and play and laugh and joke and get a little loud and rowdy (but not too much) and to have to be told a couple of times to quiet down. Doesn't that bring back good memories? Isn't that what bedtime should be like for little kids? Though I will like it even better when I no longer need to sit outside their room.

It's been quiet for a while now so I think I'm finally off duty. Off to bed I go.

1 comment:

Jana H said...

That is too cute about N saying that about the Bible story of Eli and Samuel. That's so cute of them. I'm glad they are having fun at night. That's good for the two of them. Although, you're right, it will be nice when you don't have to do a night watch anymore. I'll talk to you later.