Friday, October 29, 2010

October 29, 2010

I continue to be amazed at how quickly the house is going up. These framers are really good at what they do. The foreman on the job told me today that the shingles will go on next week and they will probably be putting the windows in on Tuesday. He also said that his framing crew will be all finished by the end of next week. After that, they will be ready to start working on the stone and stucco on the outside and the plumbing, electric and heating and air stuff on the inside. I'm not sure when they will put the septic system in but it may not be until they are finished with the stone and stucco.

The boys are excited about it and are talking about decorating their rooms. Ben has said several times that he would like to have his own room so I think we are going to shoot for that and see how it goes. I predict we will have some issues with Nick being frightened to stay in his room alone and we may have to sit with him until he falls asleep for a while, but I'm sure we can work through the issues. I think it will be good for them to have their own rooms and Nick may find that he really enjoys it.

Here is the progress made on framing the house this week.





The boys are never bored when we are at the house. They can play happily for hours.
We were getting in the car, preparing to leave, when the builder came over to our car to talk about a couple of things. We ended up talking for a while and the boys were in the back of the van trying to find things to keep themselves busy. They took the camera and took tons of pictures of all kinds of things. I ran across this one below this evening and it had me laughing out loud. This is the inside of Nick's mouth. Kids are so funny.
The pictures below this point are all from today. I could not get over this guy working up so high. He was amazing to watch. He would put the next sheet down, hammer it in on one side, measure the next piece and call it down to the guy on the ground who was cutting the pieces, finish nailing in the sheet and then he would slide down to that little piece of board that stopped him, kind of like riding a skate board only on his shoes. I held my breath every time he did the slide thing but he did fine. I'm sure he has had lots of practice. This is the same guy who was always standing up on the very top when they were framing the roof. He must have really good balance.
This guy in the overalls is the county inspector. He is cutting wood for his wood stove. The builder is waiting to haul off the downed trees until the inspector is finished cutting all of the wood he wants.
These last two pictures were taken today, just before we left for home.

2 comments:

Jana H said...

Oh my gosh, Lea, the house looks so good. It's going up so quickly. I'm so happy for you guys. I hope everyone gets to feeling better. Give everyone my love.

kate said...

It's a house!