Thursday, January 19, 2012

January 19, 2012

Well we are finished with school for today and we have eaten lunch and the boys are playing outside.  It is a beautiful, sunny day here and the temp is around 55 degrees or so.  I'm sure it feels even warmer in the sun.

Yesterday we decided to take a day off of school so we had a free day.  We traded it with Friday this week because we are not having co-op this week so Friday was free.  It was nice to have a break mid-week and we all came back at it today refreshed.

Yesterday I was sitting in the living room and I kept wondering why I was smelling smoke so strongly.  We had made a fire in our fireplace the night before for the first time (it was lovely and we need to do that more often) and I kept thinking I was smelling the results of that.  Finally, I happened to glance outside and noticed smoke wafting past our house.  I got up and looked next door and saw a large plume of smoke coming up from a huge pile of trees that had been knocked down and piled on the other side of the lot when they started building a new house.  I didn't see anyone around so I decided to put on my shoes and coat and walk over there to see what was going on.  Nick went with me and we found that, sure enough, the huge pile of trees were on fire and nobody was around.  We came back and told the husband and he called 911 to report it.  Not long after there were several smaller red trucks (not true fire trucks) with tanks in the back bed that came to put it out and watch it for a while.  I guess they save the big trucks for the big jobs.  It was not a very big fire yet but it was really smoking and it took quite a bit of water to put it out.  The boys really enjoyed the whole thing.

I am so far behind on posting pictures that I don't even know where to start.  I will put in a few here though.

 This (above) is what happens when boys get a hold of the camera:).

 Here is our house, decorated for Christmas.

 The dad was helping the boys make their gingerbread house.

 We made a big batch of Christmas cookies that were quite yummy.

 I was out Christmas shopping on this day, I think.  They set the camera up on a tripod.

 This was taken just before we took the Christmas tree down, which we did quite early this year.  I was ready for the house to get back to normal.

 Here is Tinkerbell.  She is really getting big these days and a bit chubby too.  This is how she looks when she is getting ready to attack something.

 Here is one of my beautiful nieces, having a treat with the boys.

 This is a salt map we made, while learning names of various landforms.  It has taken it about a week to dry completely.  We should be able to paint it soon.  This was a very fun project for the whole family.

 An after dinner dessert for two goofy boys.


Here the boys are doing a science experiment with the dad. We are studying the human body right now so the dad (being a dr.) enjoys joining in for the experiments.  Here the boys are blowing into the tube, which forces water out of the 2 liter bottle, showing how much air they can hold in their lungs.  They did this twice; once with a regular breath and once with a great, big breath so they could see the difference in how much their lungs hold.  It was a fun project and we all joined in and tried it.

This is how we make our daily schedule.  The laminated cards have velcro on the back to attach them to the strap.  There is a pocket at the bottom to hold the cards.  The boys and I decide what order we will do our subjects each day and we put the cards on the strap in that order (click on the picture to see a larger version).  As we finish a subject, they take turns taking the card off the strap and putting it into the pocket.  This is really working out very well for us and the boys are quickly getting use to the additional workload.  We are normally done by noon, except on Tuesdays when we have to go to violin lessons in the mornings.

That's it for today as we have to get ready to go to swim lessons.  Hope you are having a great day!

5 comments:

louisianaborn said...

I can't get over how much older the boys are looking! They are growing into handsome little young men. They seem to enjoy each other and their dad a lot. How diligent you all are in your home-schooling! Tinker Bell is adorable.
Tharen

Jana H said...

I love the pictures. I hate that I wasn't able to get to come to the house over Christmas break. I'm hoping when I bring some girls home in February that we'll be able to come then. I hope everything is going well; it sounds like it is. I miss everyone, and I love you all so much. Give the boys my love and a hug and a kiss for me.

busi4ka said...

Hello! you have beautiful boys!I,m from russia. I do not speak English.
I'd be happy friendship and fellowship with you!

Anonymous said...

Tory Burch Flip Flops as well as these fashions big ka were this shoe's bean or sweet potato starch noodles, the scandal girl act the leading role Blake Lively to pat to once were wearing well from Lanvin and the Jimmy Choo round head splicing design low-heeled shoes, afterward, Emma Roberts has also put on one pair from the Salvatore Ferragamo high-heeled shoes
not only looked like the stars to throw the ticket has given it, started including the luxury goods to note its being lucky, the young female student might choose the color to be bright, the lovable design; The makings female may choose metal Baotou to design the Tory Burch Boots; The nous female may choose the bare color and the cream color matches traditional the black and white, in addition, this kind of shoe, because the color is outstanding enough, therefore may appear the calf is thinner, suited these to want to elongate the thigh line female student ~ Ralph the Lauren 2012 spring summer women's Tory Burch Flats series to deduct a low key aristocrat young girl should truly to put on any Tory Burch Sandals!

Melissa said...

i can't believe the change in them. they are so grown up looking. glad the fire didn't get too out of hand. the science experiment looks fun.
i am blogging again. would love for you to come and check it out. http://mmrussianadoption.blogspot.com/