Wednesday, January 16, 2008

January 16, 2008

We have been staying busy with play dates, visits from my mom and sister, MOPS and visits from other friends. Today the boys and I made the long trip to OKC for apostilles for our second set of post placement reports. The boys were so good on the trip. I could not have asked for better behavior. I was so proud of them, and this from two little boys who were not feeling great, since we are all coming down with colds. And, I didn't even take the dvd system with us. I just packed a bunch of books and a few small toys in a bag and put it between them on a pillow, so they could reach it. Between that and their snack cup, they stayed busy and content the entire trip to OKC. For the return trip, I put the bag of books/toys in the trunk because I was hoping they would go to sleep. They played with anything they could reach, they took off their shoes and socks, talked to each other and pointed out every big truck, before Nick finally fell asleep. After seeing that Ben was clearly not going to fall asleep in time to get in a half-way decent nap on the way home, I handed him two books that were still in the diaper bag. He had been amusing himself just fine, talking to himself and looking out the window but he was happy to get the books.
I still need to mail the reports tomorrow, after which we only have two left to do (January of 2009 and January of 2010) and then no more reporting to anyone. That is something to look forward to, although I really don't want the next two years to go by very fast because my little sons are growing up way to fast already.

My mom and sister came for a visit yesterday and stayed with the boys while I went to my MOPS meeting. Both boys happily gave me a kiss and said 'goodbye' and 'see ya' as I left. They love staying and playing with Aunt Kathy and MaMa (pronounced mawmaw). They get so excited when they know they are coming for a visit. It warms my heart:).

After we got home from OKC today, Nick and I were sitting at the kitchen island, while he was eating his snack. Ben was sleeping, since he had not slept in the car on the way back. Nick took a one hour nap in the car. I had hoped he would go back to sleep in his crib but, alas, no such luck. So I was sitting next to him and reading to him, while he ate his snack (at his request:). I keep a devotions for toddlers book in that spot just for such an occasion so I was reading to him from it. One of the devotions was about being thankful and it said something about saying 'thank you God'. Right after I read it, Nick patted me on the shoulder and said 'thank you God' several times. Very cute.

He and Ben have both gotten to where they will sometimes close their eyes, bow their heads and say their own little prayers, after their daddy finishes praying at bedtime. It is really sweet.

What a cute age. Maybe we just aren't quite there yet but, so far, I am just not seeing the 'terrible twos'. Someone told me that when her son hit two and a half, it was like someone flip a switch and he really changed, wanting to be more independent. So, maybe we just aren't there yet. They each have their moments but, then again, so do I:). If anything, I feel that I am seeing more concern and compassion between them, for each other and also for me. It is such a wonderful thing to see.

This evening, Nick was finished with dinner shortly before Ben so he got down from the table first. Before dinner, they had been reading books with their dad. Ben is really hung up on the Goodnight Moon book right now and he was not too happy that he had to put it down so he could eat. I got this book the other day for $2 or $3 at the used bookstore (I really like that place and I have been trading in a lot of our books that we have decided we don't want or need any longer.) Ben just loves this book and wants to read it all the time. Before Ben got down from the table, he had already been saying "night night moon", "night night moon", because he wanted to read it again after he finished eating. Nick had heard Ben saying this and, of course, since he got down first, he ran over and got the book first and he brought it back over by the table and was looking at it in front of Ben. Ben was not too happy about this situation and was complaining a bit, while I was wiping his hands and face. I told Nick that it would be very nice of him to let Ben have the book, or something to that effect. He promptly took it to Ben and put it in his hands nicely and then ran away to play with something else, without any sort of objection. I was so pleased with him and let him know that was a very nice thing to do. They are both such sweet little boys.

These days, I spend more time than I prefer feeling tired and there are plenty of days when I wish I had a bit more personal time. But I must say, overall this is by far the best, most favorite 'job' I have ever had in my entire life. I love being a mom and I especially love being a stay at home mom. I hope and pray that I can be a good home schooler mom. I know God still has a lot of work to do on me, in order for me to be a good home schooler mom. I trust he will do it though, since I feel He has called me to do this.

Now for the pics:

Boys and their sticks and rocks, I love it!. Note that they have put their sticks and rocks on plates and are pretending they are food. How cute is that?









Here is a tent that was a Christmas present for the boys from my brother, sister-in-law and niece. They have had so much fun with it (so do the cats). I may have mentioned that the dad set the tent up in his office:).






















And here is our first experience with finger painting. OK, I know you are laughing because I covered everything up except for their heads:). Yes, I am somewhat anti-mess but I am trying to loosen up.



Here is Nick, the fireman. They love it when I say, "oooo, that water is cold!" and run away.

And Ben in the policeman's hat, holding a bumble bee. I'm not quite sure what the connection is but I'm sure he has it all figured out.

Don't you just love the pajama look?









And, last but not least, a few more "yee haw" moments to brighten your day.

























See ya!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

you are more daring than me. i would never have them both painting at the same time without another adult helping me out. between eating the paint and getting it in their eyes and hair, i don't have enough hands. very cute pics. they seem to be having a ball.

kate said...

don't listen to anyone who says two is terrible. i *love* two! three i'm not so keen on.

two's are exploring and figuring out things when they get to that infamous "no" stage. three's who say "no" are defiant.

enjoy two!

Tonya said...

They are so cute!

junglemama said...

MOPS is great! It is so important to be around other moms. BTW, your boys are darling!

Christy Fritz said...

you seem to be having so much fun with them,that is great to see.:)
i've been peeking in over here more lately...love so many of the activities you are doing with the boys.
they are adorable.