Monday, February 05, 2007

February 5, 2007

Today was doctor day. The boys did great through the exam but then we went upstairs for the blood draw, which was not too bad really. The stick hurt but only for a few seconds and then it was just anger/frustration at being held down. They got them both on the first stick, which was wonderful (they have a really hard time getting my blood and frequently have to stick me several times and then end up taking it from my hand). Benjamin went first and I held him while they took his blood. My husband was out in the waiting room with Nicholas because we didn't want him to see what was going on. They had a TV on out there so he was very interested in that. Other than part of the super bowl, the kids have not seen any TV since they have been home. We do lots of music though. Then we traded kids and I held Nicholas while they took his blood. While we were doing this, my husband was with Benjamin, getting a chest xray. He has a hole in his heart that has probably about a 90% chance of healing on it's own but we have to have it checked out to see if it has healed yet or not. I'm not sure how long they wait for it to heal before they decide they need to fix it but we'll find that out.

After the blood draw, we went to another office for their immunizations and TB tests. They each got three shots in their legs and also the shot for the TB test. We have to go back in about a month for another three shots for Nick and one for Ben. After that, I think we go back 6 months later for another round. By the time they are two years old, they should be caught up. This was a bit harder for the little guys (and for me) than the blood draw. The TB test took longer than I would have liked, especially for Nick, but the shots in the legs are fast but painful. I could see them wince with pain and, of course, they screamed. But it was quick and, afterwards, they quit crying fairly quickly when I turned them towards me and hugged them. We used the same method with these shots as we did with the blood draw...my husband had one child with him waiting in the waiting room and I stayed with the child who was being tortured and tried my best to comfort him.

They were really little troopers and they were exhausted because they ended up missing their afternoon nap and had shots instead. Not a very good trade off. After we finished up with the shots, we took a quick stroll around the floor where my husband's office is (he is a doctor in this same practice) so his co-workers, who prayed so much for us, could meet our sons. It was nice and the boys were pretty friendly to everyone, even after everything they had been through.

After we left the doctor's office, we decided to get a bite to eat so we went to Luby's:). We like Luby's but the lines are usually really long on Sunday after church, which is usually when we think of going there. It was perfect because the line was really short, the food was great and there was plenty of food that the boys really liked. They enjoyed their meals and ate very well (they had also missed their snack time...we brought goldfish and cheerios but they are just not the same as their normal snack).

After dinner, we came home, the boys played for a little while and then they went off to bed. I took a ton of medicine, sat with my head over a heated mister thing and laid down as much as possible. I believe I have a sinus infection and have been nursing a horrendous head ache for a couple of days. Today it was much worse. I am now feeling better. The meds have kicked in.

1 comment:

vivianzjl said...

This is very nice blog. do you konw Mozilla Firefox web browser?I really loved it,I hope you may want to download and try. thank you.