Monday, February 19, 2007

February 19, 2007

Yes, today is our anniversary. My husband and I were married 2 years ago today and it was a very special day and a beautiful wedding. We have had a busy two years: we moved from Texas to Oklahoma, my husband changed jobs, I quit my job to be a stay at home wife and mother, we sold a house and bought a new house and, of course, we adopted our two little sons. It has been a wonderful two years and I would not change a thing. We are very blessed indeed.

The boys are both doing wonderfully. I have a few pics I have taken and wanted to put them up today but I have not had time to upload them. Maybe tomorrow.

I am very impressed with how well they are adjusting, so far.  So far, our biggest issues seem to be fairly common to all children, such as they take toys from each other and sometimes hit each other. They are also nice to each other quite often though and sometimes I can tell they end up hitting because they know it is not allowed and they do it to get attention. It is amazing how quickly they will move to doing something negative, just to get some kind of attention, especially when they really do get our attention most of the time. There is very little time that they are just playing on their own while we are busy doing something else. And, when I am here during the day with them on my own, forget talking on the phone when they are awake. I don't do it often anyway but the few calls I have taken during these times leave me promising myself that I will let the answering machine take the calls in the future, when the boys are awake.

Really though, other than that, they seem to be doing great. They get impatient and whiny if they do not get their food quickly when they are really hungry, such as first thing in the morning. I remember taking care of my niece when she was around 6 or 7 months old and she was kind of like that too though. So, this seems pretty normal at this point. They have gotten to where they will push away their food or drink when they are full, which is great.

Benjamin is still working on trying to feed himself, although his pincer grip must improve some before he will be very good at it. Today, he fed himself a cracker though. I took a picture of it and will post it with other pics later. He will also pull his sippy cup up for a drink, although he will only use one hand, so he needs some help if the cup is not full. We have tried to get him to use both hands but he does not seem to be interested in doing this yet. I noticed that he does the same thing, when trying to pick up a ball. He never uses both hands, although I have seen him use both hands to play with a toy. So Ben is still working on catching up developmentally and he still has a ways to go. His walking continues to improve and he can take 8 to 10 steps on his own and can turn a little better on his own also. He is trying to walk between pieces of furniture and other objects, on his own, more and more. So it probably won't be very long before he will be walking all over the house. He is a bit more quiet than Nick, although he goes through periods of time where he is chattering a lot. If he is trying to say actual words, I have not heard any that I recognize yet, other than mama and dada.

Nick seems to be pretty much on target developmentally. His vocabulary increases a bit each day. His newest words are banana and tractor. He chatters a lot and will frequently try to repeat words, when we are trying to get him to say a word.

I can't think of much else to report about how they are doing. They are still sleeping really well. I think we could almost set our clocks by their sleep schedule. We have adjusted their schedule a bit. Now they are going to bed at 8:00pm most nights and then they wake up around 7:30am. They go down for nap at 9:30 but are still sleeping until noon. I had been putting them down around 10:00 but they kept sleeping to 12:30, so I adjusted their schedule a bit. They take their second nap around 3:30. It is 5:30 now and they are still asleep but I think they will probably wake up any minute. I am very very very thankful about how they sleep. This is such an answer to prayer and I know most new parents don't have it this easy...and I'm sure it probably won't always be this easy for us. I don't do very well without sleep though, so I am very thankful about how well they are sleeping now.

When we put them down, we hardly ever go back into their room. The longest one of them (Ben - he always has a harder time falling asleep than Nick) has ever cried before falling asleep is 30 minutes. One or the other has occasionally awakened before the expected wake-up time, but not very often. Yesterday, Ben had a tough time getting a good nap because of untimely poops. After changing him, I put him back down and he did go back to sleep for a little while but still ended up waking up before his nap time was over. So, once in a while that happens but, for the most part, they are good sleepers. Nick usually just needs to have something soft to hold on to with one hand and his thumb in his mouth with the other and he is all set. He might cry for a few seconds but he is usually quiet before we get back downstairs. For Ben, it really depends on how tired he is. Worst case scenario is that he might cry for 20 or 30 minutes, although 10 to 15 is more normal for him. He is a really good sleeper though, once he is out. So if he wakes up before nap time is over, it is usually because he had an untimely poop.

Nick is also a good sleeper, once he is out, although he tends to cry out some here and there. When he was sick and he napped on the couch in the living room one day recently, I got to see this in action. I think what happens is that, once his really deep sleep is over, he tends to half wake once in a while, to turn over or reposition, and he realizes his thumb is no longer in his mouth, so he cries out and puts his thumb back in his mouth but he never really wakes up. I have heard him wake up once in a great while but he is normally back to sleep before I even have enough time to go upstairs to check on him. There has been one or two times that I could tell by his cry that he was scared, maybe had a bad dream or something, and was not going to go back to sleep without a little help. I went into his room, spoke softly to him, handed him back his soft blanket and he put his thumb back in his mouth, laid back down and went back to sleep.

I'm telling you, this is a miracle, an answered prayer.  I thank the Lord often for how well they sleep, although probably not often enough.

So, things are going very well overall. We are adjusting and figuring out how to get our needs met, while also meeting the needs of our sons. We still have a lot to learn but we are learning a lot as we go. Ah, the boys are waking; it's 5:40 so they are pretty much right on time. Must go get my little guys.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Happy Anniversary!

It's wonderful that the boys are sleeping well and adjusting pretty smoothly to their new life. It is amazing how resilient some kids are.

kate said...

Happy Anniversary to you both.

I'm amazed at what good sleepers your boys are. Rejoice!